What parents need to know…
Teach Kids to Be Tick AWARE! Important Tick-Borne Disease Prevention Tips
Summer camp and other outdoor activities offer fun, new experiences, and great memories for kids and teens. Don’t let a tick make you or your child sick!
Make tick checks a part of the daily routine! Its an important habit that can prevent tick-borne diseases. Lyme and other tick-borne diseases can have a significant impact on your child’s health.
Important Tick Prevention Tips to Consider
- When sending your kids to a camp or other program
- Ask if and how the organization treats their grounds/playing fields for ticks and/or other insects.
- Ask if camp counselors or other staff receive tick prevention training.
- Ask about their tick prevention practices.
- Find out their protocol for handling a tick bite.
- Do they provide tick prevention education to staff? Campers?
- Steps to help protect your kids from ticks
- Pack a repellent and/or pre-treat their clothing with permethrin. It is important to discuss the use of repellents on your child with the appropriate person at the camp or program.
- Teach them how to check for ticks. Remind them to check for ticks daily – it should be a part of their daily routine just like brushing their teeth.
- Share BeTickAware.org with your child’s camp, school and other programs. Help increase tick prevention awareness.
GLA Be Tick AWARE Information
Be Tick AWARE! Reduce the risk of Lyme and other tick-borne diseases. Take important steps to educate yourself and your kids about tick bite prevention.